1925 - 1988

First powered flight in Brisbane -
In 1912, American pilot Arthur Burr "Wizard" Stone made the first powered flight in Brisbane using an imported Bleriot monoplane. The flight departed from the main oval of the Brisbane Exhibition Grounds near the Gregory Terrace entrance taking-off towards Machinery Hill and becoming airborne at 4.10p.m. The thrill of the take-off may have prompted a change of plan as the aeroplane headed towards the nearby Albion Park Racecourse but given that it was a Saturday, horse racing was in progress so Stone returned to land at the Exhibition Grounds. The Bleriot was badly damaged in the landing although Stone was unhurt. Clearly the Exhibition Grounds were unsuitable for aviation use and Stone subsequently described it as "like landing in a well".

Source: "Queensland Aviation From the Ground Up 1910-1912" by Edward P. Wixted. (Thanks Ted!)
Second powered flight in Brisbane -
After the Bleriot had been repaired, Wizard Stone made a second flight in Brisbane. This flight operated from the Eagle Farm Racecourse and this time there were no incidents.

Source: "Queensland Aviation From the Ground Up 1910-1912" by Edward P. Wixted. (Thanks Ted!)

Eagle Farm Racecourse was established in the Brisbane suburb of Ascot in 1863. Curiously, Brisbane also has the nearby Doomben Racecourse which was established in 1933 on a site adjoining the Eagle Farm Aerodrome and thus it is closer to Eagle Farm than the racecourse bearing the same name! This causes confusion to the current day. During the Second World War, both racecourses were taken over by the U.S. military with Eagle Farm Racecourse being known as Camp Ascot.
Eagle Farm Aerodrome Officially Opened -
Early in 1925, an area of 88 acres (36 hectares) was acquired by the Commonwealth Government for use as an aerodrome. The government erected a hangar and a house for the Groundsman. The aerodrome at Eagle Farm opened in April 1925 under the control of the Civil Aviation Branch of the Department of Defence. (The more familiar Department of Civil Aviation did not come into being until 1938).

Source: The Courier-Mail, Brisbane, 11JAN31.
Brisbane Flying School Opened at Eagle Farm -
Q.A.N.T.A.S. inaugurated its Brisbane Flying School with an air pageant at Eagle Farm on this date.

Source: "Qantas Rising" by Sir Hudson Fysh

Two new de Havilland Moths for the school had been test flown at Eagle Farm on 15MAR27.

Source: The Courier-Mail, Brisbane, 11JAN31
The Most Significant Arrival of All 1985
Fokker F.VIIb/3m "Southern Cross" bearing the U.S. registration 1985, arrived at Eagle Farm at 1015 on completion of the first trans-Pacific flight. The aeroplane had taken 21 hours 21 minutes to fly from Suva, Fiji to Brisbane. Crewed by Charles Kingsford Smith, Charles Ulm, James Warner and Harry Lyon. The "Southern Cross" has been on display at Brisbane Airport since 1958 as a memorial to Smithy - the greatest of them all!
Amy Johnson Arrived at Eagle Farm G-AAAH
Amy Johnson, the first woman to fly solo from the UK to Australia, arrived at Eagle Farm in her DH-60G Gipsy Moth G-AAAH "Jason". On landing, the aeroplane overturned and was badly damaged. It was subsequently repaired and flown to Melbourne from where it was shipped back to England where it is today on display at the Science Museum.
Eagle Farm Aerodrome Closed -
Poor drainage at Eagle Farm finally brought an end to its first use as Brisbane's aerodrome and operations moved to a new aerodrome on 220 acres (89 hectares) at Rocklea which soon became known as Archerfield. It was reported that there were three hangars at Eagle Farm belonging to Civil Aviation, Q.A.N.T.A.S. and Queensland Air Navigation. The closure of Eagle Farm was marked with an aerial pageant on this day.

Source: The Courier-Mail, Brisbane, 11JAN31

This is a very lengthy article which provides a useful insight into operations at Eagle Farm when the aerodrome was closed at the end of 1931. A full transcript of the article can be read here
Imperial Airways Flying Boat Alighted on the Brisbane River G-ADUT
Imperial Airways Short C Class flying boat G-ADUT RMA "Centaurus" was the first flying boat to alight on the Brisbane River (and the largest aircraft to visit Brisbane at the time). The aircraft arrived from Townsville and Gladstone and alighted to the north on the Bulimba Reach (between the Bulimba Ferry and Breakfast Creek) at approximately 1330. The flying boat turned near the Newstead Wharves (near the mouth of Breakfast Creek) and taxied upstream on its outboard engines to be moored off the Domain, today the site of the Queensland University of Technology. The aircraft, which was commanded by Capt J.W. Burgess (a New Zealander), was surveying the route from England to New Zealand. It was moored off the Domain until early in the morning of 24DEC37 when it taxied downstream to take-off for Sydney. In addition to Captain Burgess, the aircraft was crewed by First Officer C.F. Elder, Senior Wireless Operator A. Lowe, Wireless Operator H. Dangerfield and Flight Steward H.J. Bingham. Captain Lester Brain, Flight Superintendent of Qantas Empire Airways, joined the aircraft at Singapore and completed the landing at Brisbane. Previously, this entry had erroneously recorded that the aircraft had alighted on the Pinkenba Reach. The entry has been corrected and updated (on 30SEP04) thanks to John Wilson and to Robert Blaikie who reviewed contemporary press reports.
First Qantas Flying Boat Landed at Brisbane. VH-ABB
Qantas Short C Class VH-ABB "Coolangatta", commanded by Capt G.U. Allan, alighted on the Pinkenba Reach of the Brisbane River on its delivery flight from the U.K.
First Qantas Flying Boat Service to the U.K. VH-ABF
Qantas Short C Class VH-ABF "Cooee", arrived from Sydney en route to the U.K.
Drawings Finalised for a Relief Landing Ground at Eagle Farm -
Within days of the attack on Pearl Harbour, plans were in place to develop Eagle Farm as a Relief Landing Ground for the Archerfield based 2 EFTS (Elementary Flying Training School). During the Second World War, Eagle Farm became a very important and busy USAAF base. Eagle Farm hosted the Allied Technical Air Intelligence Unit (ATAIU) which was responsible for testing captured Japanese aircraft.
Inaugural Australian National Airways DC-4 Service to Brisbane VH-ANB
The first ANA DC-4 service to Brisbane operated by VH-ANB "Lackrana" landed at Eagle Farm because the grass runways at Archerfield were regarded as inadequate.

Source: The Courier-Mail, Brisbane 25MAR46
Aim Early Release of Eagle Farm from USAAF Control -
"It is the desire and intention of the American Air Force to return Eagle Farm aerodrome to Commonwealth control as soon as possible, Brigadier-General Orval K. Cook, Commander of the Pacific Air Service Command, said yesterday. Brigadier General Cook arrived in Brisbane on Sunday from Manila to inspect bases and installations under his command. Details involving weather information, fuelling, and numerous other services which would be required by transient American aircraft had not been settled, as they would be before the transfer took place, he continued. He was not negotiating for permanent American bases in Australia. General Cook said that there were surplus Air Force technical supplies at Eagle Farm, including engine parts, radio equipment, cordage, rope, nuts, and bolts. Disposals were effected through the Foreign Liquidation Commission."

Source: The Courier-Mail, Brisbane, Tuesday 02APR46
Airlines' Growth Beating Plans for Eagle Farm -

"Expansion of air services through Brisbane, already four times the pre-war number, is outstripping Government arrangements for the switch-over to Eagle Farm aerodrome. Already an average of 18 civil services in, and 18 out, is handled at Brisbane each day, compared with four before the war. In addition to these is the flow of Dutch and Australian air force transports. Now these developments are looming: — Aircrafts Pty., Ltd., which now operates services to Maryborough, Bundaberg, Rockhampton, and inland towns, will begin a daily service, non-stop, to Melbourne, this month. Lockheed Lodestars will be used taking about 4½ hours. The same company hopes to extend its Queensland services. Qantas Empire Airways is considering a step-up of its Brisbane-Darwin Douglas service, now four planes a week. Resumption of the Dutch K.N.I.L.M. service from the East Indies is projected, depending on development of the political situation in the Indies. Already the Dutch Army's No.19 Squadron in Brisbane has taken delivery of a Skymaster from America, and two more are coming soon, for use on the Indies run. These may become a temporary nucleus for a K.N.I.L.M. service. Although no new A.N.A. services, now averaging 11 a day both in and out, are planned at the moment, the company is expecting continued growth in air freight, especially in a new direction - carriage of livestock. A.N.A. officials predict that "flying stables" will soon be running, specially fitted with stalls for animals, which will be accompanied by attendants. Ansett Airways, operating from Melbourne, may ultimately extend Its new Sydney service to Brisbane. The National Airways Commission, which has indicated that its first scheduled service in Southern States may begin in September, can also be expected on the Brisbane route in a matter of months."

"Constitution of Eagle Farm as the main air terminal here, planned to cope with post-war air traffic growth, has, however, struck a 'snag'. Although the transfer of complete control of Eagle Farm from the U.S. Army to the Civil Aviation Department may occur in a matter of days, its occupation as Brisbane's airport is months away. The reason is that the original scheme to shift large 'igloo' hangars from Archerfield, to accommodate planes as big as Skymasters, has been scrapped. The Commonwealth Department of Works, which was to do the shifting, advised Civil Aviation that these hangars, with a normal 'life' of only five years, would not be worth the expense of moving. As the only other suitable buildings are on southern Air Force aerodromes, a protracted moving operation is now necessary. Meantime, what is regarded as the best capital city airfield in Australia lies idle except for a daily Skymaster service from Melbourne and an occasional American service from Manila and Guam.

"Eagle Farm has three concrete runways, each 150 feet wide — one 6985 feet (1.3 miles) long, running W.S.W.-E.N.E., one 5015 feet running S.E.-N.W., and one 5985 feet, running S.W.-N.E. Taxiways and tarmacs are ready for use, and good roads lead to the aerodrome, which has unobstructed air approaches, giving maximum safety. There are underground petrol storage tanks of almost 50,000 gallons capacity. Runway maintenance and drainage are the only two immediate problems concerning the field itself. Already Civil Aviation has its runway maintenance squad on continuous work, patching and levelling. The installation of sub surface drainage will begin soon. Although Eagle Farm is built on former marshy ground, only a few feet above sea level, drainage was regarded as non-priority by wartime American builders. Existing hangars at Eagle Farm, mostly of a medium sized 'igloo' type, will be useful only as workshops, being too small in most cases even for Douglas DC3's. The C.O. of the Pacific Air Service Command, rear echelon (Col. Jordan) said yesterday that the U.S. Army made its plane overhauls on open tarmacs, not in hangars, as is the practice of civil companies. Designs for the central aerodrome control and administrative building, which will incorporate modified principles drawn from big overseas fields, are being completed in Melbourne. A Civil Aviation headquarters official said in Melbourne yesterday that the Air Minister (Mr. Drakeford) would probably announce details of the plans soon. It is understood that the building will house modern rest rooms, refreshment room, and facilities for handling a big volume of air passengers from all services, in addition to full control, radio, weather, and admlnistrative offices. Air operating companies say they are in the dark about when they will have to shift to the new aerodrome. At present the only official forecast is: 'Some time this year— it is hoped.' Companies are therefore going ahead with expansion plans to operate from Archerfield.

Source: The Courier-Mail, Brisbane, Thursday 01AUG46

Governor-General Arrived in Avro York "Endeavour" MV140
"Their Royal Highnesses the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester arrived at Government House, Brisbane, yesterday. On arrival at Eagle Farm aerodrome in the Avro York aircraft Endeavour, their Royal Highnesses were received by his Excellency the Lieutenant-Governor (Mr. P. A. Cooper) and Mrs. Cooper, the Premier, the Honourable E. M. Hanlon, and the Lord Mayor of Brisbane; Alderman J. B. Chandler. Last night their Royal Highnesses were present at the ball ol the Royal Society of St. George, in the City Hall, Brisbane."

Source: The Courier-Mail, Brisbane, 14AUG46
Trans-Australia Airlines Scheduled to Commence Operations from Eagle Farm -
It was reported that workmen were "racing the clock" to have facilities ready for the commencement of TAA's Brisbane services on 07OCT46. Work was underway on the airline's city office in Terrica House on the corner of Adelaide and Creek Streets and at Eagle Farm.

Source: The Courier-Mail, Brisbane, 27SEP46
American Base at Eagle Farm Closing -
"Eagle Farm, the chief American airport in Queensland, will close except for a skeleton staff next week, when the commanding officer (Col. F. Jordan) leaves after more than two years' service in Brisbane. Since the Americans took over the small aerodrome when the Japs attacked Pearl Harbour more than 6000 U.S. aircraft have been staged through the field on their way to operation theatres, and it has been extended to make the finest civil aerodrome in Queensland. Peak establishment of the aerodrome was 200 officers, 1000 enlisted men, and a civil staff, including clerks of 1500. Yesterday eight officers, four enlisted men, and about 150 civil employees were left in the centre. Col. Jordan said that the Commonwealth Disposals Commission had already taken over surplus stores for sale under lend-lease reverse agreements, and the Civil Aviation Department was steadily taking over the aerodrome. However, a skeleton staff would be left, commanded by the present adjutant (Capt. F. Lichterford). This was needed to handle thd weekly service to Manila, and the administrative clearing up work which also dealt with the care and payment of Australian personnel serving overseas with the U.S. Forces. It might take some weeks before Eagle Farm was thoroughly 'dead' as an American establishment in Australia, but to practical purposes it was now finished. Col. Jordan added that his stay in Brisbane had been made happy by the friendship of Australians and in saying that he was only expressing the thoughts of the thousands of Americans who had passed under his command in the Brisbane area."

Source: The Courier-Mail, Brisbane, 02NOV46
Alarm Over Skymaster ?
"A Trans-Australia Airways (sic) Skymaster, practising night landings at Eagle Farm last night, disturbed many people living in suburbs near. They thought the flickering of the airliner's navigation lights as she came in to land to be distress signs and the telephone at the Civil Aviation control room was kept busy with news of the 'plane in difficulties.' Officials said that the navigation lights switched on and off automatically as the plane landed and took off. T.A.A. and Dutch planes had been practising night landings at Eagle Farm for some time. A senior Air Force officer said he was so perturbed that he called R.A.A.F. headquarters at Victoria Park. 'Planes should be stopped from going up at night and blinking their lights for two hours,' he said. 'If an aircraft strikes trouble the pilot will have no way of signalling his distress if other planes are going to constantly flicker their lights on and off for hours at a time.' "

Source: The Courier-Mail, Brisbane, 04NOV46
Switchover of Archerfield to Eagle Farm Underway -
"The first real step in the projected complete switchover of civil airline operations from Archerfield to Eagle Farm began last week. Excavations are in progress to prepare the ground for bitumen foundations for two main hangars. The move follows 10 months of delays, and changes of plan by the Civil Aviation Department since the decision to use Eagle Farm as Brisbane's main airport was first made. Main difficulty has been the provision of buildings big enough to take modern aircraft. When foundations are complete, the hangars, each capable of housing a Skymaster, will be transported in sections from their present location on a former Royal Australian Air Force aerodrome near Sydney. After their re-erection at Eagle Farm the three airlines still centred at Archerfield - Australian National Airways, Qantas and Aircrafts Pty. Ltd. - will move to the new field. At present the government-owned Trans-Australia Airlines is the only airline with headquarters at Eagle Farm, where construction of its passenger reception and administrative facilities is nearing completion in a former American hangar. The Civil Aviation officer in charge (Mr. T. L. Amos) said last night that the probable date of completion of the big hangars was not yet known, because of transport difficulties for the hangar sections. The changeover would be early next year and would include all the main Civil Aviation staffs installations. Temporary accommodation was available at Eagle Farm for departmental offices and would serve until a new administrative block was built. The Airways Supervisor for the Rockhampton-Kempsey (N.S.W.) flying control region ( Mr. F.W. Stevens) has already moved his headquarters from Archerfield to Eagle Farm, where the control tower is now handling 10 aircraft movements a day, including all Trans-Australia Airlines machines and the A.N.A. Skymaster. All services except one of ANA's still operate from Archer field. Under a new scheme inaugurated bv the Department all companies have been invited to allot their own duty pilot to the flying control room. A.N.A. at Archerfield and T.A.A. at Eagle Farm, both of which have services running at intervals through the day, have their duty men operating daily. Main work of these duty pilots is to prepare flight plans giving full advance information for each flight, leaving the aircraft captain only the job of checking the information before he takes off. The company duty pilot also watches progress of his company's aircraft, and keeps his office fully informed. His work is supervised bv Civil Aviation officers."

Source: The Courier-Mail, Brisbane, 19NOV46
USAF Base at Eagle Farm Closed -
" ... The Eagle Farm aerodrome officially ceased to be a base of the United States Air Force on Friday. Now it can serve Australia's peace-time air communications across the Pacific. ..."

Source: The Courier-Mail, Brisbane, Monday 03FEB47
Eagle Farm Handed Over to the Australian Government -
"CANBERRA, March 10. - An agreement has been concluded between Australia and the United States making the Eagle Farm aerodrome, Brisbane, an international airport. It is expected that the cost of its complete conversion for civil use will be - between £3,000,000 and £5,000,000. The agreement, which was signed in Canberra today by the Minister for External Affairs (Dr Evatt) and the United States Ambassador (Mr R. Butler) provides that a full service and all facilities will be furnished to all aircraft on a non-discriminatory basis. The Department of Civil Aviation will operate and maintain certain facilities, including the air navigation, air communication, and weather equipment, which was part of the surplus United States property in Australia. Although this equipment has been taken over by the Department of Civil Aviation, no payment is being made for it. The United States authorities, however, have imposed an obligation on the Federal Government to continue to operate and maintain the facilities so that Eagle Farm may be used by United States aircraft as an International airport. Under the agreement, these facilities or part of them may be removed to a new location mutually agreed upon by the two Governments. Commenting on the agreement, Dr Evatt said that its signing was a further example of the effect of day-by-day cooperation between two Pacific nations. Australia and the United States had agreed so substantially regarding fundamental objectives in international affairs that many negotiations which were being successfully carried through tended to go unnoticed.

PREMIER'S COMMENT BRISBANE, March 10. - The Premier (Mr Hanlon) said to night that the decision was "inevitable." He had always maintained that Eagle Farm offered space and facilities unobtainable in any other eastern capital. It was also the nearest major airport to the United States. Nothing could prevent in the present air-conscious age the development of Eagle Farm into one of the world's greatest airports."

Source: The Courier-Mail, Brisbane, Thursday 13MAR47
Pan-American DC-4 Diverted to Brisbane after Engine Failure N88883
"A Pan-American Airways Douglas D.C.4 flew 300 miles over the Pacific on three engines before coming in to an emergency landng at Eagle Farm aerodrome yesterday afteroon. The plane, Clipper Kathay, was on a flight from San Francisco to Melbourne with 24 passengers and a crew ot eight. About an hour out from New Caledonia trouble developed in the starboard inner motor, which suddenly cut out. The plane was then about 300 miles from Brisbane, and the skipper (Captain G. Rohrbaugh) decided to head for Brisbane rather than risk the longer flight to Mascot. Alteration of schedule was radioed ahead, and arrangements made for accommodation for the 24 passengers in Brisbane. This service, which started in February, does not normally land at Brisbane. Planes pass over and pick up the radio range beam before continuing south. There was little or no eleent of risk in the long flight on three engines, as the D.C.4 is capable of maintaining height on any two of its four Pratt and Whitney Wasp engines. The engine failure was caused by a damaged oil line. When engineers inspected the plane last night it was found that special equipment was required to repair the damaged engine. A message was sent to Sydney, and the part placed on a northbound A.N.A. plane. Mechanics then worked until late last night on the damaged engine of the Clipper. The engine is being repaired at A.N.A. hangars at Eagle Farm, and the plane is expected to take off again on its flight to Sydney and Melbourne at 8 a.m. to-day."

Source: The Courier-Mail, Brisbane, Wednesday 02APR47
First Flight of a Race Horse from Melbourne to Brisbane G-AIMC

"Attley, crack Melbourne sprinter, who shares favouritism with Shannon for the Doomben Ten Thousand, was safely transported by air from Melbourne to Brisbane yesterday. He had his first view of Brisbane from the jaws of the Bristol freighter, Merchant Venturer, at Eagle Farm. He then stepped lively down the plane's landing ramp after a 1200 mile flight. The nose of the Merchant Venturer opens like the doors of a cupboard to expose the full width of cargo hold for loading and unloading. The plane taxied to within 150 yards of the Doomben racecourse, where the Ten Thousand will be run on July 5. Attley came back to earth down the special ramp, which is a plane fitting, and is strong enough to load a three-ton truck. Attley travelled in a well padded collapsible box in the nose of the plane. The box was about 5ft. high and roomy, with his head well over the front. Attley was able to receive constant attention from his trainer, W. Cutler during the flight. No drugs were used to prevent Attley from taking fright. The plane left Melbourne at 9.30 a.m.. and arrived at Eagle Farm at 4.40 p.m. It stopped in Sydney from 12.30 until 1. Attley is the first racehorse carried by air from Melbourne to Brisbane. Cutler seemed more excited than Attley. He shouted to friends in the crowd, and invited well-known Melbourne jockey, A. Breasley, who will ride Attley in the Ten Thousand, to jump into the plane. He said Attley, whose legs were heavily bandaged, behaved splendidly during the trip. 'A few air pockets worried him a little, but otherwise he was as calm as if travelling in an ordinary motor float,' he added. 'This is a trainer's dream come true.' About 1000 people saw Attley landed. Applause from a few enthusiastic admirers was quickly stifled by aircraft officials, who feared he might become fractious. From the aerodrome Attley was taken to Athol Strong's Hendra stables by motor float. Attendants had a little trouble enticing him into the float. He just touched one when he lashed out with his hind legs. Attley has been nominated for the June Stakes, to be run at Eagle Farm on June 14, but Cutler said a decision about his starting would not be made until it was seen how he progressed in the next few days. The plane is on a demonstration tour, and Attley is the first horse it has carried in Australia. Officials said that when the seats were removed it could carry six horses. With the seats in it could carry two horses in the nose. A fire engine was was recently carried from England to France in a similar plane. A few years ago, Americans carrled a horse from Melbourne to Townsville in a military aircraft, and recently a Melbourne racehorse, Queen of the Fairles, was flown from Melbourne to Tasmania."

Source: The Courier-Mail, Brisbane, 02JUN47

Footnote: After a demonstration flight to Wau, PNG on 23OCT47 the "Merchant Venturer" rolled backwards down the sloping airstrip and was wrecked, having logged only 250 hours flying time.

Tailwinds Produce Record Time on TAA DC-4 Flight to Brisbane ?
"Forty passenger Skymasters, which usually fly at 200 miles an hour, were whipped up to speeds over 300 m.p.h. by gale force tail winds between Melbourne and Brisbane yesterday. At times the wind, a south-westerly, reached a velocity of 60 miles an hour, but usually was about 35 to 40 m.p.h. Wind was particularly fierce between Melbourne and Sydney. A T.A.A. Skymaster, piloted by Captain Aubrey Koch, reached Brisbane from Mel bourne in 3 hours 41 minutes flying time. As the machine touched down on Kingsford Smith aerodrome In Sydney. Captain Koch received a signal from the control tower 'Your time from Melbourne was 1 hour 41 minutes. That's a commercial plane record.' Captain Koch said later that at times his speed indicators went over the 300 mark. 'But we didn't mean to hurry so much. It surely was blowing.' he added. With 40 passengers, the same machine flew from Sydney to Brisbane In two hours from take-off to touch-down. Normal flying time from Mel bourne to Brisbane is five hours, and from Sydney to Brisbane 2 hours 35 minutes. Mr. George Sommers, 82-year-old Sydney resident, who was having his first flight, said when he alighted at Eagle Farm: 'I don't believe it.' T.A.A. and A.N.A. officials said yesterday that it was not a practice for their aircraft to exceed scheduled speeds. Fast times occurred only when a tailwind carried the planes, or time had to be made up because of delaying circumstances."

Source: The Courier-Mail, Brisbane, Thursday 12JUN47
ANA DC-4 Test Landing at Archerfield ?
"An Australia National Airways Skymaster from Melbourne landed at Archerfield with a full pay load on board in what airway officials described as a test landing. Normally, all four-engined aircraft land at Eagle Farm, which, with its long bitumenised runways, is considered superior for large aircraft landings. After the landing at Archerfield, the Skymaster taxied round and immediately took off again for Eagle Farm, its usual terminal, where the passengers and freight were unloaded. It would be advantageous for A..N.A. to operate all its services from one aerodrome, as at present Skymasters (D.C.4's) land and take off from Eagle Farm, and smaller planes, D.C.3's, use Archerfield. Trans-Australia Airlines operates all its services from Eagle Farm." As the Courier-Mail is a morning newspaper, it is assumed that the test landing took place on 19JUN47.

Source: The Courier-Mail, Brisbane 20JUN47
Barrier Reef Airways Commenced Operations from the Hamilton Reach. VH-BRA
Barrier Reef Airways operated the first regular scheduled service to Gladstone and Heron Island using Catalina VH-BRA "The Beachcomber" commanded by Capt S. Middlemiss.
ANA DC-4 Operations Moved Back to Archerfield -
"All A.N.A. services are to be based at Archerfield aerodrome from Monday. At present two Skymasters daily are taking off and landing at Eagle Farm aerodrome. These planes are flying the Melbourne-Sydney-Brisbane route. The Queensland manager of A.N.A. (Mr. H. Trenchard Smith) said yesterday that present buildings at Eagle Farm were unsuitable in the provision of facilities for passengers and for maintenance work. When new buildings, planned by the Civil Aviation Department for Eagle Farm were erected, the A.N.A. southern service would return to Eagle Farm."

Source: The Courier-Mail, Brisbane, Saturday 16AUG47
Barrier Reef Airways Commenced Services to Daydream Island. VH-BRA
Barrier Reef Airways began a scheduled service from Brisbane to Daydream Island with Catalina VH-BRA.
ANA DC-4 Operations Returned to Eagle Farm -
"Australian National Airways Skymasters would operate from Eagle Farm indefinitely, Brisbane A.N.A. manager (Mr. H. Trenchard Smith) said last night. He said that all other A.N.A. aircraft would operate from Archerfield. The Skymaster serice had been transferred to Eagle Farm because it was more serviceble in wet weather for heavy planes."

Source: The Courier-Mail, Brisbane, 13DEC47
BOAC Short Hythe Flying Boat Diverted to Brisbane. G-AGJK
The BOAC Short Hythe Class flying boat G-AGJK "Howard" was en route Bowen to Sydney when it diverted to Brisbane owing to bad weather at Rose Bay. The aircraft resumed its flight the following day. (The Hythe Class was a civilianised Sunderland).
Runway Extension at Eagle Farm -
"More than £1 million will be spent on a long-range plan to convert Eagle Farm aerodrome into a first-class international airport. Hint of the big development planned for the derodrome was given by the Civil Aviation Director-General (Air Marshal R. Williams) in a telephone talk with The Courier-Mail from Melbourne yesterday. He revealed that a new runway would be laid down. Although he did not discuss details of the expansion plan, it appears certain that this runway will be an extension of the present north-eastern landing strip, giving it an over-all length of nearly a mile and a half. This would Involve resumption of private properties beyond the present boundaries of Eagle Farm. Air Marshal Williams admitted that the work would necessitate moving 'a few houses.' An adequate control tower, administrative building, and passenger terminal also will have to be included in any Civil Aviation Department master plan for Eagle Farm. At present. the department is using temporary facilities handed over by the United States army air force which occupied the aerodrome throughout the war. The new administrative block, which would undoubtedly follow latest architectural trends in international airport development, will most likely be built in the south-eastern section of the aerodrome. This is suggested by the fact that the new permanent hangars, now under construction to house the largest aircraft flying, are in that area. Completion of these hangars will be the first step towards the conversion of Eagie Farm to Queensland's No. 1 airport. Volume of commercial traffic at Archerfield, coupled with the increased amount of training flying, is already giving control officers a headache, particularly in the middle of the day when airliners' arrivals and departures are measured in minutes. Transfer of the commercial aircraft to Eagle Farm would increase the safety factor at both aerodromes. Queensland manager of Australian National Airways (Mr Trenchard Smith) said last night that all Australian National Airways services in and out of Brisbane would be operating from Eagle Farm by the end of this year. At present, all A.N.A. services are operating from Archerfield. Bad weather from time to time has diverted some A.N.A. Skymaster services to the more 'weatherworthy' Eagle Farm. An average of nine take-offs and nine landings are made from Eagle Farm a day at present. Passenger aircraft make an average of 84 take-offs and landings each day at Archerfield, which Is also used by aero club planes. As it has no surfaced runways it is easily rendered unserviceable by bad weather. Bad drainage and its distance from the city are Archerfield's main disadvantages as a main airport. However, it will still be used by companies operating light aircraft, and will be developed as a freight base."

Source: The Courier-Mail, Brisbane, Monday 14JUN48
TAA Introduced Convair 240 VH-TAQ
TAA introduced the pressurised Convair 240 on a flight from Melbourne to Brisbane.

Eagle Farm Doubles Usual Movements -
"Eagle Farm aerodrome proved last week that it can handle twice the normal traffic at short notice. In two days — Tuesday and Friday — it was one of the few major airports in the eastern States not closed by bad weather. Last week 220 movements were recorded, compared with 120 under normal conditions. The previous week 180 services were handled. Eagle Farm took over a large number of services normally scheduled for Archerfield aerodrome. On Friday night the aircraft were brought in by radio control as smoothly as if they had been bombers coming in to a wartime British airfield. 2000ft. Five were scheduled to land at Eagle Farm between 7.55 and 8.10 p.m. They were 'stepped' at 2000ft. intervals between 7000ft. and 15.000ft. A departmental official said yesterday that only two men had to be brought into Eagle Farm to help handle the traffic. 'In addition, emergency arrangements had to be made for Customs inspection of a Constellation aircraft from overseas which normally would land at Sydney,' he said. Thousands of pounds' worth of aircraft were on the tarmac at Eagle Farm without hangar accommodation. However the department's district superintendent (Mr. Doubleday) said last night that the operating companies did not need accommodation for most of the aircraft as they were to take off as soon as Southern aerodromes were reopened. Three additional hangars were being built at Eagle Farm, he said. When these were completed A.N.A. and Qantas would transfer from Archerfield."

Source: The Courier-Mail, Brisbane, Monday 14MAR49
Thiess Brothers Beech 18 Based at Eagle Farm VH-BJJ
Thiess Brothers Beech 18 VH-BJJ "Progress II" was based at Eagle Farm where it was maintained and crewed by Australian National Airways. The aeroplane featured prominently in the development of Queensland's natural resources as one of Australia's earliest corporate aircraft. The wreckage of this aeroplane now resides at the Queensland Air Museum at Caloundra.

Last Heavy Departure from Archerfield ?

"A north-bound DC3, owned by Australian National Airways, which left Archerfield yesterday, was the last heavy plane to fly from the aerodrome. From to-day all heavy aircraft will operate from Eagle Farm, and Archerfield will again become the quiet, light plane aerodrome it was in the early 1930's. Main reason for the change is that Eagle Farm, converted by Americans during the war into a first-class aerodrome, is suitable for use in weather that would close Archerfield."

Source: The Courier-Mail, Brisbane, 30MAY49

An earlier edition of the Courier-Mail on 12MAY49 reported the planned closure of Archerfield thus:
"With the complete change-over of A.N.A.'s heavy Brisbane services to Eagle Farm airport, Archerfield will become almost exclusively the light plane home it was in the early 1930's. Apart from some R.A.A.F. planes, the grass-surfaced Archerfield aerodrome will be restricted to light, non radio aircraft. In accordance with Civil Aviation Department policy. Eagle Farm, converted into a first-class airport, with bitumen runways, by the Americans during the war, will handle all commercial traffic. Skymasters, Douglas DC3's, Convairs, and occasional Douglas DC6's from the trans-Pacific run can land at Eagle Farm even in very wet weather, when Archerfield's bad drainage sometimes causes bogging. Completion of a maintenance hangar for A.N.A., and the company's conversion of an igloo into a comfortable passenger terminal has made the transfer possible. Since It began services to Brisbane, T.A.A. has operated from Eagle Farm, and Qantas shifted all facilities except maintenance to Eagle Farm in April. An A.N.A. spokesman said yesterday that the move would be a good one, because in some weather landings were possible at Eagle Farm when Archerfield was unsuitable. After the take-off of the afternoon Skymaster for Melbourne on May 29 all A.N.A. aircraft would land and take-off from Eagle Farm. Shifting of major maintenance facilities from Archerfield would be a big transport job, and the future of the A.N.A. terminal at Archerfield was uncertain. The Civil Aviation Department District Superintendent (Mr. Doubleday) said concentration of all commercial air line traffic at Eagle Farm would be a good thing for all concerned. Until facilities were available, the area control section, which plotted aircraft movements to Brisbane, would remain at Archerfield, and continue to work in conjunction with Eagle Farm flight control." Note that the last departure from Archerfield was reported the following day as a DC-3 not a DC-4 (see above).

Source: The Courier-Mail, Brisbane, 12MAY49

That Eagle Farm would replace Archerfield as Brisbane's airport was announced as early as 18JAN46 when the Courier-Mail reported:
"Eagle Farm aerodrome, regarded by civil authorities as one of the best in Australia, is to become the main commercial airport for Brisbane. Conversion will begin as soon as it is vacated by the Americans. It will be an important base and servicing centre for Government owned aircraft operating under the proposed Australian Airlines Commission. The airfield was constructed especially for the Americans, who are understood to be reluctant to leave it. It is suggested that the United States may apply to the Commonwealth for a 99 years' lease of the field, which would be used as the main Australian landing ground for Pan-American Airways, if extension of its trans-Pacific service to Australia is approved. No such application has yet been received by the Federal Government, and it is unlikely that it would be approved, as Eagle Farm holds a key position in the Government's proposed airlines scheme."

Source: The Courier-Mail, Brisbane, 18JAN46

Barrier Reef Airways' First Sandringham Arrived in Brisbane. ZK-AMH
Barrier Reef Airways purchased two Sandringham flying boats from Tasman Empire Airways Limited (TEAL) and the first of these was delivered to Brisbane on this date. The aircraft was subsequently registered VH-BRC and named "Coral Clipper".
Barrier Reef Airways' Second Sandringham Flying Boat Arrived in Brisbane. ZK-AME
Barrier Reef Airways' second Sandringham, also purchased from TEAL, arrived in Brisbane. The aircraft was subsequently registered VH-BRD and named "Capricorn". The other noteworthy arrival was the author, who was born in Brisbane on this date!
Barrier Reef Airways Inaugurated a Brisbane to Hayman Island Service. VH-BRC
Sandringham VH-BRC "Coral Clipper" operated the inaugural service to Hayman Island.
First TAA Convair 240 "Rocket Service" Melbourne-Brisbane. VH-TAQ
TAA operated its first Convair 240 "Rocket Service" from Melbourne to Brisbane with VH-TAQ "John Forrest".
Trans Oceanic Airways Commenced Operations from Sydney to Port Moresby via Brisbane and Townsville. VH-BKQ
Trans Oceanic Short Hythe VH-BKQ "Pacific Star" operated the first service under the command of Capt P.H. Mathieson.
Trans Oceanic Airways' Second Solent Arrived in Brisbane. G-AKNP
Trans Oceanic's second Short Solent III flying boat arrived in Brisbane on delivery from the U.K. (the first was written off on its delivery flight). Named "City of Cardiff" in BOAC service, the aeroplane was subsequently registered VH-TOB and named "Star of Papua".
Trans Oceanic Inaugurated "Chieftain" Services to Port Moresby. VH-TOB
Trans Oceanic Solent VH-TOB "Star of Papua" operated the inaugural "Chieftain Service" from Sydney to Port Moresby via Brisbane.
Trans Oceanic Solent Collided with a Ship in the Brisbane River. VH-TOB
Solent VH-TOB under the command of Capt P.G. Taylor (later Sir Gordon) collided with the fruit boat "Florant" while taxying for take-off for Sydney. Although badly damaged, the aircraft was repaired and returned to service.
Barrier Reef Airways Commenced Operations Brisbane to Sydney. VH-BRB
Catalina VH-BRB "The Buccaneer" operated the first B.R.A. service to Sydney.
Trans Oceanic Solent Collided with a Ship in the Brisbane River. VH-TOC
Solent VH-TOC "Star of Hobart" was taking off from the Brisbane River when its starboard wing struck the unlit dredge "Platypus II" severing the wing seven metres from the tip. The aircraft was successfully landed and beached, although it never returned to service owing to the difficulty in obtaining a replacement wing. The aeroplane was later scrapped.
Ansett Airways Sandringham was Struck by a Ship in the Brisbane River. VH-BRD
The Ansett Airways Sandringham VH-BRD, now renamed "Princess of Cairns", was struck by a lighter under tow and damaged. The aircraft was later repaired and returned to service. By this time, Barrier Reef Airways had been taken over by Ansett.
Ansett Catalina Operated Proving Flight from Brisbane to Southport. VH-BRB
The Ansett Flying Boat Services Catalina VH-BRB departed for the Broadwater at Southport for trials prior to commencing a regular service from Brisbane to Sydney via Southport and Grafton. The service commenced on 25JUL52.
Ansett Sandringham Struck by a Ship in the Brisbane River. VH-BRD
The Ansett Sandringham VH-BRD was struck by an unidentified vessel during the night and sank at its moorings. Although it was subsequently refloated, it was declared a write-off. Several years later, the hulk of VH-BRD was acquired for conversion to a restaurant but while under tow to the Gold Coast on 01FEB54 the aircraft sank and was lost.
Hamilton Reach Closed to all Aircraft Except Catalinas. -
With the closure of the Hamilton Reach to all aircraft except Catalinas, Sandringham operations took place from the Quarries Reach (between Colmslie and Doboy Creek).
Redland Bay Flying Boat Base Used for the First Time VH-EBV
Qantas Sandringham VH-EBV "Pacific Warrior" arrived from Sydney to conduct trial night landings at the new base. The aircraft later returned to Rose Bay.
Redland Bay Flying Boat Base Opened VH-BRC
Ansett Sandringham VH-BRC was the first aircraft carrying passengers to alight at the new base. The same aeroplane had earlier made the last departure from the Hamilton Reach bound for Sydney. Later that afternoon, VH-BRC returned from Sydney to make the first arrival at Redland Bay.
The First Qantas Passenger Service to Use Redland Bay VH-EBV
Qantas Sandringham arrived from Port Moresby and departed for Sydney.
First Qantas Sandringham SYD-BNE-CNS-POM VH-EBZ
The first flight of the new Qantas Sandringham schedule to Papua New Guinea departed from Redland Bay. Sandringham VH-EBZ "Pacific Explorer" arrived from SYD at 2230 on 15JUN and departed for POM at 0036 on 16JUN. Sandringham services to PNG ceased in JAN55.
Sandringham Sank off Surfers Paradise VH-BRD
"TWEED HEADS (by telephone) — A Sandringham flying-boat swamped and overturned about a mile-and-a-half off Surfers' Paradise yesterday while being towed from Southport to Tweed Heads. The flying-boat had sunk at its moorings in the Brisbane River late in 1952, and, after being refloated was stripped of its motors and sold by Ansett Airways. The purchasers Pacific Clipper Enterprise, of Brisbane, spent a large sum refitting the aircraft for use as a Continental restaurant in the back channel in Tweed Heads. The flying-boat was towed from Brisbane to Southport three weeks ago by a Tweed Heads fishing launch, Valiant, skippered by Ron Welsch. The Valiant left Southport yesterday morning for Tweed Heads, with the flying-boat in tow. One float broke as the two vessels were negotiating the Southport bar at midday, the starboard float of the flying boat broke from the wing. Soon after the float was lost, the starboard wing dipped into the waves and the aircraft began to fill. A change of wind from the north to the north-east hit the flying-boat under the port wing, turning it over. Welsch and his crewmen had to cut three towlines to avoid damage to the Valiant as the big aircraft turned over. When last sighted from the Valiant, the flying-boat was floating partially submerged, bottom up. Welsch said the flying boat probably would be washed ashore at Surfers' Paradise. He said it had taken 13 hours to get the flying-boat to Southport, where they had been anchored awaiting favourable weather to complete the final stage of the tow."

Source: The Courier-Mail, Brisbane 02FEB54
East-West Airlines Hudson Undercarriage Collapse VH-EWB
Lockheed Hudson VH-EWB "Cathedral City" suffered a collapse of the starboard main undercarriage on landing. There were no injuries to the six passengers or three crew and damage to the aircraft was reported as superficial. Pilot was Captain Ron Walesby. Hostess was the "pretty, auburn-haired Miss Claire Bailey" (as reported in the Courier-Mail of 21JUL54).
First Ansett Airways Convair 340 VH-BZD
Ansett's first Convair 340 service operated by VH-BZD arrived from Melbourne and Sydney.
DC-4 Belly Landing VH-ANF
Douglas DC-4 VH-ANF "Loongana" of Australian National Airways was inadvertently landed wheels up at Eagle Farm. There were no injuries and the aircraft was repaired and returned to service.
Last Qantas Sandringham Service from Brisbane. VH-EBY
Qantas Sandringham VH-EBY "Pacific Voyager" arrived from Port Moresby at 1600 and departed for Sydney at 1710.
NOTE: This event was previously attributed to VH-EBV on 02JUN55.
Beech 18 Suffered Undercarriage Collapse ZK-BQE
Beech 18 ZK-BQE "Spirit of North Otago" was taking off from Eagle Farm on delivery to Trans-Island Airways in New Zealand when the undercarriage collapsed. The aircraft was repaired and resumed its delivery flight in April 1957.

Viscount Ran off Runway and Struck Machinery VH-TVJ
TAA Viscount VH-TVJ "Ernest Giles" ran off the runway and collided with machinery. The aircraft was repaired and returned to service although it was subsequently scrapped at Eagle Farm in May 1970. The nose section of VH-TVJ resides at the Queensland Air Museum in Caloundra.

First Super Constellation Service to London VH-EAB
Qantas Lockheed Super Constellation VH-EAB "Southern Horizon" operated the first Qantas Super Constellation service to LHR.

Fokker F.VIIb/3m Memorial Unveiled 1985
The memorial building housing the "Southern Cross" was officially opened.
First Qantas Boeing 707 Service to London VH-EBG
Qantas Boeing 707-138 VH-EBG "City of Hobart" operated the first Qantas Boeing 707 service to LHR.
First QAL F-27 Service VH-FNE
Queensland Airlines operated its first Fokker F-27 service Brisbane-Maryborough-Bundaberg-Gladstone-Rockhampton using VH-FNE "Sir Henry Abel Smith". Prior to departure from Brisbane, the aeroplane was christened by Lady May Abel Smith in honour of her husband, the Governor of Queensland.
Ansett-ANA Viscount Burst Tyres on Landing VH-RMG
Ansett-ANA Viscount VH-RMG burst its main gear tyres on landing with the brakes on.
TAA Commenced Operations to Papua New Guinea VH-INU
TAA commenced operations SYD-BNE-POM-LAE using DC-6B VH-INU chartered from Ansett-ANA.
Ansett-ANA Commenced Operations to Papua New Guinea VH-INT
Ansett commenced operations SYD-BNE-POM-LAE using DC-6B VH-INT.
TAA Electra Hijacked VH-TLB
En route SYD-BNE an armed man attempted to hijack the aircraft. The man was overpowered by one of the crew and the aircraft landed safely at BNE despite two shots having been fired in flight.
DC-4 Crash on Bulwer Island VH-TAA
Trans-Australia Airlines DC-4 VH-TAA "Watkin Tench" crashed into mangrove swamps on Bulwer Island in the Brisbane River. The freighter was making an approach to Eagle Farm when the captain suffered a heart attack. Both crew were killed although a dog and five cockatoos being carried as freight survived the crash.
First Direct Flight to Singapore by Qantas Boeing 707 VH-EBE
Qantas Boeing 707-138B VH-EBE "City of Perth" operated the first Qantas Boeing 707 service BNE-SIN.
Ansett Sandringham Diverted to Redland Bay. VH-BRC
Ansett Sandringham VH-BRC diverted to Redland Bay when Rose Bay was closed due to bad weather. This was the first Sandringham to use Redland Bay since 1957.
First BOAC Service to London G-APDI *
BOAC Comet Mk 4 arrived from London and operated the first direct BOAC service BNE-DRW-SIN-CMB-BOM-THR-TLV-ZRH-LHR. The departure from BNE was delayed for three hours because of a bomb hoax.
* Registration subject to confirmation.
Ansett-ANA F-27 Ran Off Runway VH-FNI
Ansett-ANA F-27 VH-FNI ran off the runway on landing.
Ansett-ANA DC-4 Damaged Approach Lights VH-INX
Ansett-ANA DC-4 VH-INX undershot Runway 22 on landing and damaged several approach lights.
First Service Brisbane to Honolulu VH-EBD
Qantas Boeing 707-138B VH-EBD "City of Brisbane" operated the first direct service BNE-HNL.
Ansett-ANA Sikorsky S-61N Christened at Brisbane VH-BRI
Ansett-ANA Sikorsky S-61N VH-BRI was christened "Coral Islander" at a ceremony at Brisbane Airport. The aircraft later positioned to Proserpine.
First Service to Manila & Hong Kong by Qantas Boeing 707 VH-EBI
Qantas Boeing 707-138B VH-EBI "Winton" operated the first Qantas Boeing 707 service BNE-MNL-HKG.
Piaggio P.166B Belly Landing VH-PQA
Queensland Airlines Piaggio P.166B Portofino VH-PQA suffered an undercarriage collapse on landing at Eagle Farm. The aircraft was not badly damaged and there were no injuries. The aeroplane was noted still under repair on 24JUL65.

Flying Boat Operations Resumed at Redland Bay VH-BRF
While Gladstone Airport was being upgraded, Queensland Airlines chartered the Ansett Flying Boat Services Short Sandringham VH-BRF "Islander" to maintain services between Redland Bay and Gladstone until 08OCT65. The aircraft arrived from Sydney on 12SEP65 and operated a return proving flight to Gladstone the same day. After completion of the last flight on 08OCT65, the Sandringham returned to Rose Bay in Sydney.

Last QAL DC-3 Service VH-AOH
Queensland Airlines' last DC-3 service operated by VH-AOH arrived from Gladstone.
Last QAL Service VH-FNL
Queensland Airlines' last service (Flight 627) was operated by F-27 VH-FNL (Ansett-ANA livery) which arrived from Bundaberg and Maryborough. QAL then ceased operations and the company was merged with Ansett-ANA.
Ansett-ANA Viscount Nosewheel Collapse VH-RMG
Ansett-ANA Viscount VH-RMG aquaplaned off the end of the runway on landing, collapsing the nosewheel. The aircraft was air tested on 01FEB67 and was returned to service the following day.
"Southern Cross" Fabric Replaced 1985
Work commenced on the recovering of the Fokker F.VIIb/3m "Southern Cross". The work was performed by the Archerfield firm Air Charter using a synthetic terylene fabric known as Eonnex. All tail surfaces were removed on 26SEP67 and taken to Archerfield for repair. The remainder of the work was performed in situ in the memorial building at Eagle Farm. Air Charter staff known to have worked on the aircraft were Roy Dalgleish and Oliver Shelley. By 19OCT67 the new fabric had been doped and was ready for painting.

Twin Otters Delivered to TAA VH-TGT/VH-TGU
Two DHC-6-200 Twin Otters were delivered to TAA at Brisbane having been ferried across the Pacific as N1754 and N1756. They later entered service as VH-TGT and VH-TGU respectively.
Bullet Hole Found in Ansett-ANA DC-9 VH-CZC
During an early morning inspection, a bullet hole was found in the tail of Ansett-ANA DC-9 VH-CZC.
First Ilyushin IL-18 CCCP74256
The Aeroflot aircraft operated a charter to Brisbane with a Russian performance group. (Source: David Thollar)
TAA's Last Mainland DC-3 Service VH-TAI
DC-3 VH-TAI "Baudin" operated TAA's last scheduled mainland DC-3 service from Miles to Brisbane. TAA continued to operate DC-3s within Papua New Guinea.
Sandringham Flying Boat Diverted to Redland Bay VH-BRF
The Ansett Sandringham VH-BRF "Islander", en route Lord Howe Island to Sydney, diverted to Redland Bay because Rose Bay was closed due to fog.
Jetair Commenced Operations from Brisbane VH-CMI
Jetair commenced operations on the Brisbane-Warwick-Stanthorpe routes previously operated by Westernair. Initial equipment was Beech Queen Air VH-CMI. Jetair subsequently introduced DC-3s.

First Air Nauru Service VH-BIZ
Air Nauru's inaugural service to Nauru was operated by Dassault Fan Jet Falcon VH-BIZ which was chartered from Business Jets Pty Ltd. The aircraft was named "Nauruan Chief". Because of bad weather in Nauru, the aircraft diverted to Townsville where it overnighted. When the weather had not improved the next morning the flight was abandoned and the aircraft and passengers returned to Brisbane. The passengers were given the option to travel on the next fortnightly service on 28 February. (This entry was updated on 12APR20)

DC-9 Skidded off Runway VH-CZE
Ansett Airlines DC-9 VH-CZE was struck by a severe wind squall prior to landing and skidded off the runway and became bogged. There were no injuries and the aircraft was undamaged.
Jetair Ceased Operations -
All Jetair operations ceased on this date. Most of the Jetair DC-3 fleet were subsequently purchased by the Australian Government and donated to S.E. Asian countries as foreign aid amidst much political controversy.
Boeing 707 Collided with Boeing 727 while Taxying VH-EBT, VH-TJD
The Qantas Boeing 707-338C VH-EBT collided with the parked TAA Boeing 727-76 VH-TJD while the former was taxying on to the international apron. The wingtip of the 707 pierced the cockpit windows of the 727.
TAA Terminal Damaged by Fire -
Early in the evening fire broke out in the TAA terminal (Hangar 6). The terminal was demolished in November 1971 and subsequently rebuilt on the same site.
Tail Cone Fell off DC-9 VH-TJM
While landing at BNE the tail cone fell off the aircraft. The tail cone was designed to be jettisonable to provide an emergency exit.
Last Sandringham Operation from Redland Bay VH-BRF
Ansett Sandringham VH-BRF "Islander" departed for Sydney on a special charter, having arrived from Sydney on 23OCT71. The aircraft departed for Lord Howe Island the same day (23OCT71) and returned to Redland Bay on 25OCT71. Its subsequent departure for Sydney at 1715 on 25OCT71 was the last Sandringham operation at Redland Bay. The last of the two Ansett Sandringhams departed Australia on 28NOV74 after which there was no need to maintain Redland Bay as an alternate for Rose Bay. Consequently, runway marker buoys and other equipment were withdrawn shortly thereafter.

Last BOAC Boeing 707 G-ARRC
BA713 SYD-BNE-...-LHR.
First scheduled VC-10 G-ASGO
BOAC Super VC-10 G-ASGO operated BA722 LHR-...-BNE-AKL.

First Widebody / First B747 VH-EBD
Qantas Boeing 747-238B VH-EBD "City of Perth" on delivery from Seattle. The aircraft was open for public inspection and departed for SYD later the same day (with the author as passenger!)

First Air Nauru Fokker F-28 C2-RN1
The first Fokker F-28 Fellowship service BNE-INU was operated by C2-RN1.

Last passenger L188 Electra ZK-TEB
Lockheed Electra ZK-TEB carried Air New Zealand livery with added Qantas titles when it operated QF392 BNE-WLG.
Burnett Airways Navajo Undercarriage Collapse VH-PNK
The undercarriage of Burnett Airways' Navajo VH-PNK collapsed while the aircraft was parked outside the Ansett Terminal. There was nobody on the aircraft at the time.
North Coast Airlines Commenced Operations VH-RDA
North Coast Airlines commenced operations to Lismore, Grafton and Coffs Harbour using Piper Navajo Chieftain VH-RDA.
TAA Fokker F-27 Blocked Runway VH-TFC
TAA Fokker Friendship VH-TFC landed with two deflated tyres on the port side, blocking the runway until the wheels could be changed.
Last L749 Constellation N7777G
Departed for MEL with sound equipment for the Rolling Stones. Arrived from AKL on 12FEB73. During its stay in BNE, a small quantity of "a grass-like substance" was found on board. (This is not surprising on an aeroplane which had previously transported livestock). This aircraft is now preserved in TWA colours at The Science Museum in the U.K. For the full story of the Stones' Connie

First Air Pacific Service DQ-FBQ
BAC 111 DQ-FBQ operated FJ515 SUV-...-BNE. (Coincidentally, this was One Eleven day in Queensland, as on this same day the first RAAF F-111s arrived at Amberley).

TAA Chartered DC-8 Freighter N4864T
TAA chartered DC-8-63 freighter N4864T from Trans International to carry freight to Mt Isa which was cut off from road and rail by floodwaters. The aircraft arrived from PPG on this date and operated its first service to Mt Isa on 09FEB74. During the eight day operation, the aircraft carried 1,740,123 pounds of freight.
First Lockheed L1011 TriStar JA8506
This All Nippon Airways aircraft chartered by Lockheed, arrived from NAN for demonstration flights. The aircraft operated one demonstration flight on 21MAY74 and departed for MEL the same day.
Baby Born In Flight VH-EBW
A baby was born in flight on Qantas Boeing 707-338C VH-EBW operating QF802 BNE-AKL.
Brisbane Bound VC-10 Diverted to Mt Isa G-ASGP
British Airways Super VC-10 G-ASGP operating BA960 LHR-BNE was in the vicinity of DRW when a passenger suffered a heart attack. As DRW was closed, the Captain elected to divert to Mt Isa after he "rang the Flying Doctor" on radio. During the transit at Mt Isa, the starboard main gear door was endorsed: "This aircraft refuelled at Mt Isa Qld Christmas Day 1974".
Last Bristol Britannia XL639
Royal Air Force Britannia "Atria" operated MEL-BNE-TSV.
First Boeing 707 Service from Brisbane to Christchurch VH-EBV
Qantas Boeing 707-338C VH-EBV "City of Tamworth" operated the first Qantas Boeing 707 service BNE-CHC.
First DC-10 PH-MBG
Martinair (Holland) DC-10 "Kohoutek" arrived from AKL for fuel en route to SIN.
Beech Super King Air 200 Entered Service with Norfolk Island Airlines VH-IBC
VH-IBC was the first of type to be used on airline services in Australia.
Malaysian Airlines System Boeing 707 Visited G-AZWA
MAS Boeing 707-321 G-AZWA leased from British Midland operated MH718 SYD-BNE-DRW-KUL.
Last departure from old (Igloo) International Terminal VH-EAE
Qantas Boeing 707-338C VH-EAE "City of Swan Hill" departed for Sydney at 1645 local as QF026 with 64 passengers.
Last arrival at old (Igloo) International Terminal VH-EAA
Qantas Boeing 707-338C VH-EAA "City of Toowoomba" arrived from Auckland at 2037 local as QF819 with 43 passengers. The aircraft was subsequently towed to the new terminal to operate the first flight the following day.
Opening of new (Temporary) International Terminal VH-EAA
First departure was QF956 at 0744 local (one minute early!) with 134 passengers to CHC operated by B707-338C VH-EAA "City of Toowoomba". First arrival was Air New Zealand DC-8 ZK-NZC at 0751 local (19 minutes early!) operating TE801 from AKL with 33 passengers.
First Widebody at new International Terminal VH-EBB
Qantas B747-238B VH-EBB operated QF275 HKG-BNE-SYD substituting for B707 due commercial demand.
First Proving Flight by Air Niugini B720 P2-ANG
The aircraft which was leased from Tempair in the U.K. arrived from POM as PX9001.
Last Regular TAA Flight on behalf of Air Niugini VH-TJA
Boeing 727-76 VH-TJA "James Cook" operated TAA's last regular flight to POM although there were ad hoc charters subsequently.
Last Regular Ansett Flight on behalf of Air Niugini VH-RMF
Boeing 727-77 VH-RMF operated Ansett's last regular flight to POM although there were ad hoc charters subsequently.
Air Niugini B720 entered service P2-ANG
The aircraft entered service operating PX2 BNE-POM.
Burnett Airways Ceased Operations -
Burnett Airways, which began operations in 1971 to Monto and Biloela with Piper Navajo Chieftain VH-PNK ceased operations on this date. Burnett Airways also operated two Britten Norman Trislanders; VH-BSG which was delivered in AUG74 and VH-BSP which was delivered in FEB75.

First British Airways B747 G-AWNH
BA970 en route SIN-MEL diverted for fuel.
Last British Airways VC-10 G-ASGI
Super VC-10 G-ASGI operated BNE-SIN. Passenger on the last flight was Captain Norman Bristow ("Captain Hushpower").
First Regular Scheduled DC-10 ZK-NZM
Air New Zealand TE815 arrived from AKL with 231 passengers and returned to AKL as TE818 with 116 passengers.
First Regular Scheduled B747 G-AWNO
British Airways BA814 arrived from PER and departed for SYD as BA889A.
First Boeing 737 C2-RN3
Air Nauru operated under charter to Air Pacific as FJ505/506 HIR-BNE-HIR.
Last Air Niugini Boeing 720 P2-ANG
Operated PX2 BNE-POM.
First Air Niugini Boeing 707 P2-ANH
Operated PX2 BNE-POM.
First Regular Scheduled Qantas Boeing 747 VH-EBA
B747-238B "City of Canberra" operated QF723 SYD-BNE-DRW-SIN.
Last DC-6 128433
VC-118B 128433 of the U.S. Marines.
Re-enactment of First Trans Pacific Flight N50KS
The fiftieth anniversary of Smithy's first trans Pacific flight was commemorated with a re-enactment of the epic flight. Cessna 340 N50KS was flown by Keith Rose and Smithy's son, Charles Kingsford-Smith Junior. The aircraft arrived at Eagle Farm on 09JUN78.
Re-enactment of the first Australian landfall of the "Southern Cross" VH-TFL
To commemorate the 50th anniversary of the first trans Pacific flight, the Queensland Branch of the Aviation Historical Society of Australia chartered a latter day Fokker product, TAA Fokker F-27 Friendship VH-TFL, to re-enact the first Australian landfall of the "Southern Cross" over Ballina.

Commencement of "Operation Gooney Bird" VH-PNM
Bush Pilots Airways DC-3 VH-PNM was chartered by Jetset Tours to operate scenic flights from Brisbane under the name "Operation Gooney Bird". Flights continued until the end of October.

Last Qantas Boeing 707 VH-EAG
Operated QF26 POM-BNE-SYD (with the author as passenger).
Piper Comanche Landed Wheels Up VH-RTJ
Piper Comanche VH-RTJ landed wheels up at Eagle Farm blocking the runway.
TAA DC-9 Hijacked VH-TJJ
TAA DC-9 VH-TJJ was hijacked by an armed man after departure OOL for BNE. The gunman was overpowered by the Flight Hostesses.
Air New Zealand DC-8 Threatened ZK-NZE
En route CHC-BNE, a passenger on Air New Zealand DC-8 ZK-NZE was heard to make a threat against the aircraft. The man was arrested and charged.
The Saga of Harry VH-UMH
A troubled eighteen year old named Harry stole Beechcraft Sundowner VH-UMH from BNE and circled the airport for three hours. Eventually he managed to land the aircraft and he was taken into custody.
Wreckage of "Southern Cross Minor" Arrived VH-EBL
The wreckage of the Avro Avian "Southern Cross Minor" which once belonged to Smithy and which was recovered by an expedition to the Sahara Desert arrived in BNE in the holds of Qantas Boeing 747-238B VH-EBL.
Ex Qantas DC-4 N5581S
The DC-4 which had served with Qantas and later Air Express as VH-EDB, departed for the U.S. on sale to Basler Airlines of Oshkosh, Wisconsin. NOTE: Both DC-4s were incorrectly painted in MEL. On arrival in the U.S. the registrations were reversed. Thus VH-EDA became N5581S and VH-EDB became N5581T.
Ex Qantas DC-4 N5581T
The DC-4 which had served with Qantas and later Air Express as VH-EDA, departed for the U.S. on sale to Basler Airlines of Oshkosh, Wisconsin. NOTE: Both DC-4s were incorrectly painted in MEL. On arrival in the U.S. the registrations were reversed. Thus VH-EDA became N5581S and VH-EDB became N5581T. For the full story The Great Rego Switcheroo of 1980

Queensland Air Museum Moved on to Brisbane Airport A84-225, WD647, WZ898, WZ910
The QAM aircraft were trucked from Lower Nudgee to a site near Navy Street.
First Air Niugini Fokker F-28 P2-ANF
Operated PX5 POM-BNE.
Flight of two DC-3s ZK-AWQ, ZK-AQU
These two ex-RNZAF aircraft arrived en route to South Africa.
Flight of three DC-3s ZK-AZM, ZK-AQP, ZK-ERI
A further three ex-RNZAF aircraft arrived en route to South Africa. Coincidentally, 17DEC is the anniversary of the first flight of the first DC-3 in 1935.
First Qantas Boeing 747SP VH-EAA
"City of Gold Coast - Tweed" arrived from OOL as QF145. The aircraft operated two promotional flights on 26JAN and positioned to SYD as QF148.

Catalina N68756
Arrived on delivery to the Australian Wing of the Confederate Air Force.

Qantas Inaugural B747SP to WLG Cancelled VH-EAA
A much-publicised inaugural flight to WLG was cancelled owing to industrial action by cabin crew.

First Qantas B747SP Service VH-EAA
Arrived from WLG as QF62 and departed to AKL as QF32.
Record Passenger Uplift G-AWND
Boeing 747-136 G-AWND of British Airways operated BA12 BNE-DRW-SIN with 463 passengers (including 8 infants).
First Regular Scheduled Philippine Airlines service. RP-C2114
DC-10-30 RP-C2114 operated PR213 MNL-BNE-SYD.
First Air New Zealand Boeing 747 ZK-NZV
Operated TE137/138 AKL-BNE-AKL.
TAA Airbus A300 Christened in Brisbane VH-TAB
TAA's second A300 VH-TAB arrived in BNE on delivery from France. While in BNE the aeroplane was christened "John Oxley" by the Queensland Governor.
16NOV81 First Air Pacific Boeing 737 DQ-FDM
Boeing 737-2X2 DQ-FDM arrived from NAN as FJ571.
Last Vickers Viscount ZK-SKY
The Viscount which once served with British European Airways and British Airways as G-AOHT, was returning to British Air Ferries after the failure of the New Zealand operator, Skybus. This aircraft passed through Brisbane on 21SEP81 on delivery to Skybus in New Zealand as G-AOHT.
Last Air New Zealand Passenger DC-8 ZK-NZE
Operated TE162 BNE-WLG.
Last Aeronavale DC-4 9148
Aeronavale (French Navy) DC-4 9148 departed for NOU. This aeroplane crashed into a hill in NOU on 22JAN82 with the loss of all on board.
First Regular Scheduled Thai Airways International Flight HS-TGA
Boeing 747 HS-TGA operated TG987/988 BKK-BNE-SYD.
First Philippine Airlines Boeing 747 N741PR
Operated PR213 MNL-BNE-SYD.
First Regular Scheduled Cathay Pacific Flight VR-HKG
Boeing 747-200 VR-HKG operated CX101/100 HKG-BNE-SYD.
The Mongoose Incident DQ-FDM
Air Pacific Boeing 737 DQ-FDM was operating FJ515 from HIR when a mongoose revealed itself on the flight deck on finals into BNE. After a missed approach to compose themselves, the crew landed safely and the mongoose was subsequently apprehended by quarantine authorities. Senior Flight Attendant was Maureen Cuskelly (nee Dass). Mongoose name unknown.
Last Air New Zealand DC-10 ZK-NZR
Operated TE138 BNE-AKL.
QAM Canberra Struck by Missile A84-225
A home-made projectile was fired at the Queensland Air Museum's Canberra bomber at the Navy Street storage site to demonstrate what an extortionist proposed to do to a TAA airliner. Damage was confined to a gash in a bomb bay door which was subsequently repaired by the RAAF.
First East-West Airlines Norfolk Island Flight VH-EWA
Fokker F-28 VH-EWA operated EW6664/6665 NLK-BNE-NLK.
Last East-West Airlines Norfolk Island Flight VH-EWA
Fokker F-28 VH-EWA operated EW6664/6665 NLK-BNE-NLK.
First Air New South Wales Norfolk Island Flight VH-FKI
Fokker F-28 VH-FKI (in Airlines of W.A. colours) operated WX890 BNE-NLK.
Last Regular Scheduled Air Niugini F-28 P2-ANE
Operated PX3006 BNE-POM. Some ad hoc substitutions and charters were operated subsequently.
B-25 Mitchell N8196H
Arrived from the U.S. on delivery to the Australian War Memorial. The aeroplane operated briefly on the airshow circuit as VH-XXV (roman numerals for 25) before being placed in storage with its wings removed. The aircraft was subsequently sold and shipped back to the United States!

First Air Caledonie International Flight C2-RN3
Air Nauru B737 C2-RN3 operated SB120/121 NOU-BNE-NOU under charter to Air Caledonie International.
Ansett Lockheed Electra Freighter VH-RMC
Ansett Electra freighter VH-RMC operated a relief flight to flooded Mt Isa. Was this the last Ansett Electra flight from BNE? The aeroplane was sold to Turbo Power International on 29JUN84.
Last Air Pacific BAC 111 DQ-FBQ
Operated FJ714 BNE-NAN. This aeroplane and her sistership DQ-FBV were subsequently sold to the Royal Aircraft Establishment for test flying. Not so lucky was Air Pacific's third BAC 111 DQ-FCR, an earlier model which was much unloved because its load carrying capabilities did not match those of the other two aircraft. DQ-FCR ended her flying days when corrosion was discovered in the tailplane. The aeroplane was parted out at Nausori where the hulk later became derelict. Ironically, the only part of the airframe which served a useful purpose was the part that led to the aeroplane's retirement. The corroded tailplane served as a footbridge across a nearby creek!

First Regular Scheduled Singapore Airlines Flight N119KE
Boeing 747-312 N119KE operated SQ21A/22A SYD-BNE-SYD
Last Aeronavale Lockheed Neptune 148330
Departed for Noumea. All Aeronavale Neptunes were withdrawn from service soon after, the majority being burned.
First Ansett Flight to Port Vila VH-CZM
Boeing 737-277 VH-CZM operated AN182 SYD-BNE-VLI.
First Lockheed C-5A Galaxy 69-0022
USAF arrived from Pago Pago and departed for Alice Springs the following day.
First Air Niugini Airbus 300 P2-ANG
Operated PX4 SYD-BNE-POM.
Last Air Nauru/Air Caledonie Charter C2-RN6
Boeing 737 C2-RN6 operated SB150/151 NOU-BNE-NOU under charter to Air Caledonie International.
First Air Caledonie International Caravelle F-GEPC
Caravelle 10B3 "Marina" operated SB150/151 NOU-BNE-NOU. The aeroplane was delivered through BNE on 02DEC84.

Severe storm struck Brisbane Airport -

Brisbane Airport was struck by a severe storm with high winds and damaging hail. Earlier in the day there was an unusual sight when all five bays at the Temporary ITB were occupied by Qantas Boeing 747s.

FJ911 SYD-NAN Diverted BNE 17JAN due NAN weather

When the storm struck late in the afternoon, all of these aircraft had departed except the diverted VH-EBJ. Main casualties at the ITB were empty containers which were stored to the south of Bay 5. One 747 main deck container was seen blowing towards VH-EBJ but the aerodynamics were such that the container passed over VH-EBJ without striking it! The container was later located rolled up into a ball to the north of Bay 1. Skid marks on the ITB apron indicated that VH-EBJ had been moved several inches sideways by the force of the wind. Although the aircraft had suffered minor hail damage it departed for Nadi at 0622 on 19JAN. Ironically, it was only because of bad weather in Fiji that VH-EBJ was in Brisbane in the first place.

Last Air Niugini Boeing 707 P2-ANB
Operated PX4006 BNE-POM.
Queensland Air Museum Meteor at ITB WD647
The Meteor was towed from QAM's Navy Street site to the ITB for trucking to Amberley for repainting by the RAAF.
QAM Meteor returned to ITB WD647
The Meteor returned to the ITB after repainting at RAAF Amberley.

Armed Man Held Children Hostage -
An armed man, who had earlier chartered a Bell 206 Jetranger on the Gold Coast to take his two children for a flight ordered the pilot to land at BNE where the gunman threatened to ignite a tanker of avgas. The gunman eventually surrendered.
First Qantas Boeing 767-238 VH-EAJ
Operated a training flight CNS-BNE-SYD as QF7679.
First Scheduled Qantas Boeing 767-238 VH-EAK
Operated QF57 BNE-WLG.
First Qantas Boeing 747-338 EUD VH-EBU
Operating QF2 SIN-SYD diverted BNE due fog in SYD.
QAM Meteor Towed to Navy Street WD647
The Meteor returned to QAM's Navy Street storage site.
First Air New Zealand Boeing 767-219 ZK-NBA
Operated TE167/166 WLG-BNE-WLG
First Scheduled Qantas Boeing 747-338 EUD VH-EBU
Operated QF21 SYD-BNE-NRT
Air Caledonie's Relief Caravelle Arrived F-GFBA
Caravelle 10B1R F-GFBA of Europe Aero Service entered service while F-GEPC was undergoing maintenance.

Air Queensland ATR-42 Entered Service VH-AQC
Air Queensland began ATR-42 operations when VH-AQC operated Brisbane-Thangool-Gladstone.
Queensland Air Museum Vacated Brisbane Airport A84-225, WD647, WZ898, WZ910, VH-FDR
Canberra A84-225, Meteor WD647, Sea Venoms WZ898 & WZ910 and Drover VH-FDR were trucked to Caloundra Aerodrome.
"Odyssey 86" DC-3 Visited C-FGXW
The DC-3 arrived from NOU on a round-world flight to promote Expo 86 in Vancouver. The aircraft departed for CNS and POM on 24JUN86.

Air Caledonie Relief Caravelle Departed F-GFBA
Air Caledonie's relief aircraft operated its last service for this relief period before returning to Europe Aero Service.
Air Caledonie Caravelle Returned to Service F-GEPC
Air Caledonie's Caravelle returned to service after maintenance.
TAA DC-9 Collided with Fuel Tanker VH-TJU
The wingtip of TAA DC-9 VH-TJU struck a fuel tanker while the aircraft was taxying after landing, damaging two metres of the port wing.
First Cathay Pacific Boeing 747-300 VR-HII
The first Cathay Pacific B747-300 to visit BNE.
Official Opening of New Brisbane Airport -
Brisbane's new Domestic Terminal and runways were officially opened.
First F/A-18A Hornet at ITB A21-15
Several Hornets of 3 Squadron visited for the opening of the new airport. A21-15 became unserviceable and was parked on Bay 1 at the ITB until 28MAY87. Fault was traced to hidden chafing of wiring looms. Pilot was FLG OFF Russ Page who was sadly killed on 19NOV90 when his Macchi MB326H A7-076 crashed into the sea off Williamtown.
Spitfire Visited VH-HET
Spitfire Mk VIII VH-HET owned by Colin Pay of Scone, NSW operated from the ITB as part of the new airport opening celebrations.
Last Air Queensland Service VH-AQD
Air Queensland operated its last service to Brisbane when ATR-42 VH-AQD arrived from Emerald and Thangool. From this date, all Air Queensland operations were north of Rockhampton.
Airship Operations from Brisbane VH-HAA
Skyship 600 VH-HAA operated scenic flights from the grassed area to the north of Bay 1 at the ITB for several weeks.

Last Air New Zealand DC-8 Freighter ZK-NZD
Air New Zealand's DC-8 freighter paid its last visit to BNE.
USAF "Thunderbirds" Demonstration Team Arrived See Below
The Thunderbirds visited BNE as part of a world tour. Their F-16s and support C-141 and KC-10 operated from the new airport. The F-16s arrived from MEL on 17OCT87 and departed for PPG on 19OCT87. The following list of participating aircraft was supplied by official sources but it is suspected that some unannounced substitutions were made so the list should be used with caution.

Note: KC-10A 83-0078 and F-16A 81-0687 Thunderbird 8 were noted in Perth on 13OCT87.

F-16A 81-0677 LT COL Riggs Thunderbird 01
F-16A 81-0683 MAJ Robinson Thunderbird 02
F-16A 81-0678 CAPT Bulner Thunderbird 03
F-16A 81-0667 CAPT Undhjem Thunderbird 04
F-16A 81-0679 CAPT Weiler Thunderbird 05
F-16A 81-0670 CAPT Schow Thunderbird 06
F-16A 81-0663 MAJ Java Thunderbird 07
F-16B 81-0815 CAPT Nelson Thunderbird 08
C-141B 66-0180 CAPT Martin Thunderbird 14
C-141B 66-0150 CAPT Gulliver Thunderbird 24
KC-10A 79-1948 MAJ Brigman Thunderbird 25

Fokker F-VIIB3M "Southern Cross" Moved to New Airport 1985
Smithy's precious "Old Bus" was towed along Airport Drive to the new airport. The "Southern Cross" Replica VH-USU was present at the old airport and both aircraft were displayed together.

First Commercial Departure from New Airport Runway VH-EBJ
Qantas Boeing 747-238B VH-EBJ operated QF27 SYD-BNE-HKG.
Actual departure time: 1215 local.
Passengers: 410.
Take-Off Weight: 331010 kgs.
Runway 01.
Loadsheet completed by R.J. Cuskelly
Qantas Chartered DC-10 PH-MBT
To cover a capacity shortfall, Qantas chartered DC-10 PH-MBT from Martinair of Holland. The first flight from BNE was QF843 SYD-BNE-SIN on this date. The last recorded flight was QF842 SIN-BNE-SYD on 11FEB88. The aeroplane carried stickers stating "On Lease to Qantas".
First Mohawk 298 arrived N29812, N29817
The first two of four Mohawk 298 (Nord 262) arrived from HIR on delivery to Lloyds. N29812 became VH-HKS and N29817 became VH-HKT.
Last Australian Airlines arrival at Old Airport VH-TAJ
Boeing 737-376 VH-TAJ arrived from SYD at approximately 2030 landing on Runway 22. Crew: Capt Casey Shyrver and F/O Andy Anderson.
Last Ansett Arrival at Old Airport VH-ANA
Boeing 727-277 VH-ANA arrived from SYD at approximately 2050 landing on Runway 22.
Last Arrival at Old Airport VH-DJT
Falcon 10 VH-DJT of Ariadne arrived from WLG at approximately 2115 landing on Runway 22. Commanded by Captain Tony Snel.
Last Departure from Old Airport VH-RME
Ansett Boeing 767-277 VH-RME departed Runway 04 at 1445 on a special charity charter flight. The aircraft had been towed over from the New Airport. The flight returned to the New Airport.


Back to the top